Youths help New Orleans homeowners while building own skills
At a shotgun double near the corner of Dumaine and North White streets, about a dozen young men and women are painting primer on new Sheetrock walls.
Michael Frank,foreground on porch, is an instructor with the Kedila Youth Build job training/GED program working on painting a house at 2806 Dumaine St. on Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
Across town at the Kedila Family Learning Center, 1915 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., another group of young people is in class, preparing to take the GED exam.
Both groups are participating in YouthBuild, a nationwide program that teaches life skills and work ethic to young people who have...
Young man's life is transformed by 'a push and a chance' at YouthBuild
When Reginald “Reggie” Aguillard walked into Kedila Family Learning Center in Central City, Dipo Mosadomi didn’t recognize him at first.
Reginald Aguillard, is a success story from a program called YouthBuild, a program for young adults who don't have a high school diploma. It helps them get a ged and build skills. Dipo Mosadomi's , right, tutored Reginald who went on to get an AA degree and then graduated from a four-year college. He is currently working and plans to do an MBA at LSU.
In fact, Aguillard, 28, had been in YouthBuild in 2001 and 2002, when Mosadami was at the Mirabeau...
- AARP Senior Citizen Program
- Banneker Elementary and Middle School
- Belle Chasse Naval Air Station
- The Children's Defense Fund
- Compassion Outreach
- Crescent City Career Institute
- Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections
- Louisiana Department of Social Services
- Developmental Studies Center
- The Dollar General Literacy Foundation
- Family Service of Greater New Orleans
- First Book
- First Student
- Friends of Lakeview
- Hands On New Orleans
- Hike for KaTREEna
- The New Orleans Hornets
- Israelite Baptist Church
- Jericho Road
- Junior Achievement
- The Literacy Alliance
- Louisiana Children's Trust Fund
- Loyola University Office of Service Learning
- LSU Agricultural Center
- New Orleans Police and Justice Fund
- New Orleans Police Department
- Office Depot
- Office of Juvenile Justice
- Office of Workforce Development (JOB 1)
- ORI Counseling Services
- The PeyBack Foundation
- Phoenix of New Orleans
- Second Harvest
- RSD Central Office
- State Depatment of Education
- St. Paul's Homecoming Center
- The Tulane University Center for Public Service
- United Way of Greater New Orleans
- YMCA - YES program
- Youth Rescue Initiative